“Ordinary People doing Amazing Things” is one of the mottoes of Lions Clubs International.
- Saved the sight of more than 15 million children by providing eye screenings, glasses and other treatments through Sight for Kids.
- Established or strengthened pediatric eye care centers that have helped more than 120 million children.
- Helped halt the spread of trachoma in Ethiopia by providing 10 million doses of the sight-saving drug azithromycin annually.
- Prevented serious vision loss for more than 30 million people worldwide.
- Improved eye care for 100 million people by training more than 650,000 eye care professionals and building 315 eye hospitals.
- Distributed more than 147 million treatments for river blindness.
- Provided nearly 8 million cataract surgeries.
- Vaccinated 41 million children in Africa against measles – a leading cause of childhood blindness.
- Planted 10s of millions of trees around the world
- Brought crucial life skills to more than 12 million children in classrooms around the world
- Recycled millions of spectacles and hearing aids
- Cleaned up communities and roadsides
Any one of these is amazing in its own right but Lions have done all of this and much more.
As part of its centennial celebrations, Lions Clubs International is aiming to serve a further 100 million people between July 2014 and June 2018. At the time of writing (mid April 2015) 28 million have already been served. To follow the progress go to http://lions100.lionsclubs.org/EN/programs/centennial-service-challenge/index.php
If you would like more information or want to join Lions or just give us some feedback please fill in the form below